To celebrate Earth Day we have got 27 amazing apps for you to enjoy and to help make this planet a better place for us all.
The following are some eye-opening stats provided by WWF that put these efforts into context.
- We are losing forests at a rate equivalent to 48 football fields per minute. Addressing threats to our forests head-on will sustain nature’s diversity, benefit our climate and support human well-being.
- 71 per cent of our planet’s surface is oceans, providing a life-support system for Earth from the food we eat to more than half of the oxygen we breathe. Protecting these healthy and resilient marine ecosystems helps support the abundant biodiversity, sustainable livelihoods and thriving economies our oceans provide.
- Less than one per cent of the world’s water is fresh and accessible, and impacts from climate change, population growth, and consumption patterns place this already finite natural resource at greater risk.
- In 2014, WWF’s Living Planet Report found wildlife populations of vertebrate species – mammals, birds, reptiles, amphibians, and fish have declined by 52 per cent over the last 40 years.
- Humans are behind the current rate of species extinction, which is at least 100-1,000 times higher than intended by nature.
- Today, more than 7 billion people consume 1.5 times what the Earth’s natural resources can supply. And By 2050, the world’s population will reach 9 billion and the demand for food will double. By improving efficiency and productivity while reducing waste and shifting consumption patterns, we can produce enough food for everyone by 2050 on roughly the same amount of land we currently use.
- The worst consequences of climate change can still be prevented if we act now to change the way our nation and nations around the globe choose and use energy
#AppsforEarth; Help the planet. One app at a time.
- Angry Birds 2 (Rovio Entertainment; Finland) focuses on protecting our oceans with a limited-time event that includes three exclusive levels and an all-new power-up. Players will be challenged to stop the dastardly piggies from overfishing.
2. Best Fiends (Seriously; US) players can engage in an Apps for Earth quest consisting of fun puzzle levels set in the Yangtze River region in China. To help solve the puzzles, players can purchase unique Panda Pals for a limited time.
3. Candy Crush Soda Saga (King; Malta) features a live in-game event.
4. Cooking Dash (Glu Games Inc.; US) features an all-new “Eats for Earth” show for players to enjoy. With help from can-do waitress Flo, players work to prepare a menu of new dishes using sustainable ingredients. Aspiring chefs can also purchase in-game items to help cook responsibly.
5. Cut the Rope: Magic (ZeptoLab; Russia) offers all-new and exclusive puzzle levels where Om Nom magically transforms into an adorable panda inspired by the now-famous sneezing panda meme.
6. Disney Infinity 3.0 Toy Box (Disney; US) players can purchase an exclusive Apps for Earth bundle consisting of Nick, Judy and Baloo figures, as well as Power Disks. Players will also experience a set of new Toy Box levels.
7. Dragon City Mobile (Social Point; Spain) features the exclusive Panda Island, which includes six new dragons inspired by WWF’s core focus areas.
8. With special tutorials and presets, Enlight Photofox (Lightricks Ltd; US) users will be empowered to create and share beautiful, inspiring artwork while capturing their favourite aspects of the natural world.
9. Hay Day (Supercell; Finland) players can purchase a new Bag of Diamonds from the game’s shop to receive an exclusive Panda Statue decoration and the opportunity to display the WWF logo on their roadside shop for the duration of the campaign.
10. Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft (Blizzard Entertainment; US) players can purchase the new hero, Kahadgar, who will unlock arcane power and protect against evil.
11. Jurassic World: The Game (Ludia; Canada) will feature exclusive content such as new “Legendary” dinosaurs, brand new decorations, energy-generating turbines and more.
12. Kendall & Kylie (Glue Games Inc.; US) players can participate in a new in-game quest and event supporting water conservation, while earning ocean conservation-themed clothing, accessories and more, through the purchase of unique water droplets.
13. LINE (LINE; Japan) users can share a limited-edition sticker set with their friends as they celebrate Apps for Earth and Beyond.
14. LINE: Disney Tsum Tsum (LINE, Japan) players can purchase a Ruby to earn a very special, limited-edition Earth pin that users will be able to display with pride.
15. Map My Run+ (Under Armour; US) athletes can participate in “Run Nature”, a fitness challenge encouraging their global community to log as many miles (walks, runs, and bike rides) as possible. Users can unlock custom badges along the way that represent nature’s finest after completing a distance associated with each legendary location.
16. MARVEL Contest of Champions (Kabam; US) will offer a limited-time bundle called the “WWF Power Pack” which includes a 3-star Hulk and a Go Green ticket to access a special in-game quest.
17. Peak – Brain Training (Brainbow; UK) players will protect the environment while training their brain; players will guide Billy the Hawksbill turtle through the sea, eating as many jellyfish as possible, while dodging plastic bags, fishing nets and other ocean obstacles.
18. Procreate (Savage Interactive; Australia) offers their creative community an exclusive set of brushes inspired by the natural world and handmade by Kyle T. Webster.
19. Recolorr (Sumoing Ltd; Finland), the world’s favourite Coloring Book, celebrates Apps for Earth with 10 featured artists who have designed unique colouring pages across WWF’s six pillars.
20. SimCity BuildIt (EA; US) players can create ocean preserves to safeguard marine life, grow and sustain lush forests, and create wildlife habitats to protect endangered species.
21. Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes (EA; US) fans will have a chance to assemble their Ewoks in an epic battle to protect the forest moon of Endor; players can also purchase store bundles and participate in a multi-tiered special event where players will need to form their squad of Ewoks to fight against the Empire and push them off the forest moon for good.
22. The Earth by Tinybop (Tinybop Inc., US) is offering three brand new interactive features focused on Forest, Energy and Water to further help spark conversations between kids and parents about what we can all do to help the planet from picking up trash or choosing a bike ride over a car ride.
23. Trivia Crack (Etermax; Argentina) players can challenge themselves to WWF-inspired facts and trivia when they purchase custom characters based on each of the six WWF pillars.
24. Tabs & Chords by Ultimate Guitar (Ultimate Guitar; US) users will jam out to environmentally-themed songs as well as experience new tools, lessons and more.
25. VSCO (Visual Supply Company; US) photographers can purchase a new WWF preset that enhances the lights and colours of natural settings and is ideal for landscape and wildlife photography
26. WWF Together (World Wildlife Fund; US) will bring users the story of a new and limited edition feature, called Earth, where users will view a 360° panoramic image of Earth from space, immerse their iPhone in digital water and see stunning photography and video of the planet.
27. Yoga Studio (Gaiam Inc; US) is cultivating gratitude for our planet with two new collections: Earth Salutations, featuring six new yoga classes, and a set of inspiring Earth Meditations.
About Earth Day (Wikipedia)
Earth Day is an annual event, celebrated on April 22, on which day events worldwide are held to demonstrate support for environmental protection. It was first celebrated in 1970 and is now coordinated globally by the Earth Day Network, and celebrated in more than 193 countries each year.
Have something to add to this story? Please share it in the comments.