Instagram hit two major milestones reaching a global community of one billion plus they announced a new chapter of mobile video with the introduction of IGTV.
So what exactly is IGTV? Well, it is a new app and space within Instagram where people can watch long-form (up to an hour), vertical video from their favourite Instagram creators and celebs, allowing them to connect more meaningfully. IGTV is different from the typical mobile video experience:
- Mobile-first: IGTV is built for how you naturally use and hold your phone, so videos are full screen and vertical.
- Simple to use: It starts playing as soon as you open the app, so you don’t have to search to get started.
- Quality content: IGTV is built on the Instagram network and creators are the channels; so you can watch people you already follow on Instagram and discover others.
Instagram Hits 1 Billion Users And Introduces Long Form Video Content
On the launch of IGTV, William Easton, (VP) Managing Director of Facebook & Instagram ANZ said: “With today’s launch of IGTV, you’ll be able to watch your favourite global and Australian creators in long-form, vertical video for the first time ever. We’ve created IGTV to showcase mobile video the way it should be—fully immersive and designed for how you hold your phone. We’re excited for this new chapter as our global community reaches 1 billion, and hope it brings our Australian community closer to the people and things you love.”
Here are some of the world’s top-followed accounts and creators have already started to add videos to their channels, including:
- Lele Pons (@lelepons) – Global digital star and currently holds the title of #1 digital creator on Instagram with an audience of over 25 million followers. Lele just launched a first-time cooking show using IGTV.
- Kim Kardashian West (@kimkardashian)
- Virgil Abloh (@virgilabloh) – the Louis Vuitton menswear artistic director launched an exclusive IGTV documentary of his work at the fashion house
Chris Hemsworth (@chrishemsworth)