Here’s our cheat sheet for some of the lingo and terms that the trailblazers are using online and while using social media:
- Burner or burner phone – an old mobile phone used for testing applications and websites, or using apps like Telegram and Rumble
- Deplatform – people or groups who actively campaign against someone’s message or beliefs and attempt to have their social media account shut down or demonetized
- Doxing – the act of publicly revealing private personal information about an individual or organization, usually via the Internet.
- Flagging – you can report someone’s social media post for violating the platform’s rules or community guidelines (often found under the 3 dots)
- JOMO – Joy of Missing Out – the opposite of FOMO i.e. the fear of missing out. It’s okay to be an introvert and stay at home in comfort. Saying no is empowering and liberating.
- Ghosting – When a person cuts off communication with the person they were dating or their friends without any notice or warning. Avoiding returning text messages or phone calls.
- God Mode – system administration-level access to someone’s social media account, that allows the person to edit, remove and censor images and information (for example, law enforcement organizations)
- NSFW – not safe for work. A warning not to open the email or message while you’re at a work computer. (Frequently used by partners to send each other adult jokes and dubious material).
- Phubbing – looking at and using your mobile phone as a way to turn your attention away from a face-to-face conversation. A combination of phone and snubbing.
- Scrubbing – the process of modifying or removing data or images for accuracy or censorship purposes. May be used for celebrities, professional athletes, or job seekers, or law enforcement organizations.
- Sock pocket – fake online accounts used by an author to support their own account or a community of like-minded individuals (sometimes used by public relations firms to artificially boost a hashtag or topic to become trending)
Can you think of any others to add?