After the Big Reveal, Google’s new Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL smartphones are set to launch this end of October in Australia.
Two weeks ago, Google has unveiled their newest products including their improved innovation of their Pixel smartphones.
Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL are set to be released on October 31st and we’re likely already aware that the pre-orders are available starting October 20 and anyone can join the waitlist on the Google Store Australia.
Google’s Pixel Smartphones Features
Google’s Pixel smartphones are ready to square off against Apple’s iPhone 8, 8plus and iPhone X, as well as to Samsung Galaxy Note 8.
To Google, the new Pixel phones are their most innovative and high end devices. The Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL are Google’s pivotal innovation that will cement the company’s flagship in the smartphone industry.
Sleek and pretty as ever
Without really focusing on changing a lot of the overall design, Google’s Pixel smartphones have upgraded their display and made the two phones more appealing.
Pixel 2 have 5 inch 1080p and 6-inch QHD screens respectively. Both phones have “Active Edge” technology which allows users to squeeze the size of the phones in order to perform certain functions, such as activating Google Assistant or sending messages.
So, what do we have to look forward to Google’s Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL features? We’ve broken down the specifications for both phones below:
|Pixel 2||Pixel 2 XL|
|OS||Android Oreo 8.0||Android Oreo 8.0|
|Dimensions||145.7 x 69.7 x 7.8mm||157.9 x 76.7 x 7.9 mm|
|Weight||143 g||175 g|
|CPU||Snapdragon 835, Octa-core (4×2.45 GHz + 4×1.9 GHz)||Snapdragon 835, Octa-core (4×2.45 GHz + 4×1.9 GHz)|
|RAM||4 GB||4 GB|
|Storage||64/128 GB||64/128 GB|
|Display||5.0-inch FHD AMOLED Display||6.0-inch FHD AMOLED Display|
|Resolution||1080 x 1920 pixels (441 ppi)||1440 x 2880 (~538 ppi)|
|Camera||12.2MP rear (f/1.8, OIS, EIS), 8MP (f/2.4) front||12.2MP rear (f/1.8, OIS, EIS), 8MP (f/2.4) front|
|Colours||Just Black, Clearly White||Just Black, Black & White|
Better Photo and video capture and OIS
Unlike the other latest phones from Samsung and Apple, Google’s Pixel phones don’t have dual camera setup though its single-lens camera is still the best around.
Using a combination of facial algorithms and a depth-mapping image sensor, the Pixel 2’s camera renders blurred backgrounds for a dramatic, short depth-of-field effect. Google added lots of tech for the optical image stabilization.
The camera uses data from gyroscope and peeks at the video frame ahead to stabilize footages. Other camera details includes:
- Widened camera aperture from f2 to f1.8
- Motion Photos records a video for 1.5 seconds and it then trims and loops it to GIF-ish live picture
- Improved HDR+ with increased dynamic range and better noise reduction
- Camera is optimised to support AR
- Unlimited Google photo cloud storage and photos will be stored at their original resolution and this includes 4K video
Google’s Pixel Smartphones
- The new generation of Pixel smartphones are run by Android Oreo 8.0
- With Music Detection, an exclusive feature only for Pixel smartphones that runs continuously in the background. This feature works both offline and on airplane mode.
- In its place is At Glance, which displays pertinent info about your day like calendar events, traffic, flight status and more.
- When phone is idle, it has an “Always On lockscreen” which shows missed notifications from open apps and messages, even when the screen is off.
- These smartphones supports Google’s ARCore for AR/VR content developers and is compatible with Google’s AR/VR platform Daydream.
Pre-orders in Australia are set to be available from October 20th. Australians are among the first wave of markets that will get the new phones. Pricing varies depending on the storage size, below are the breakdowns:
- Pixel 2
> 64 GB $1,079
> 128 GB $1,229
- Pixel 2XL
> 64 GB $1,399
> 128 GB $1,549
To place your order, please click on this link: Telstra AU Google Mobile Phones