For those who’ve ever been 10 minutes into a date and realised they’re totally incompatible with the person opposite them but it’s too late to get up and leave, then Hinge could be the dating app you’re looking for.
Hinge – from today – has a Video Prompts feature which gives daters a chance to gauge their compatibility with a match before committing to actually meeting IRL by chatting online with potential dates first.
Coined as a ‘virtual vibe check,’ the benefits of this new pre-date video chat are endless:
- Saves time — 70% of Australian Hinge users reported finding time in their schedules is the number one obstacle when planning for an in-person date. Additionally, Australian Hinge users biggest pet hate when an in-person date doesn’t go well is the amount of time and effort wasted it took to get ready.
- Saves money — Approximately one in three Australian Hinge users reported on average they spend up to $100 on a first date. If you match and have video dates with three different people, then decide to only pursue one, you’ve just saved yourself $200.
- Avoid the awkward exit — Approximately one in three Australian Hinge users stated it only takes them 15-30 minutes into a date to determine whether they’re compatible with someone. However, then you’re stuck with an internal debate on when it’s appropriate to leave. A majority of Australian Hinge users (51% ) reported another benefit of video dating is that it’s easier to end a date if there’s no chemistry.
Video Prompts – the new feature from Hinge – appears during video dating and shows conversation starters on screen to encourage you to share more of your personality. Each theme has been tested by the experts at Hinge Labs to ensure the most fruitful answers come out of the session – which can be as short or as long as preferred.
Users select from one of eight unique themes and once a theme is picked, the collection has five Prompts for the daters to ask each other.
How the Hinge Video Prompts feature came about
Throughout the COVID pandemic, video dates emerged as a new way for singles to test the waters and take part in a ‘virtual vibe check’ before committing to meeting a match IRL.
That’s why Hinge is launching Video Prompts — the ability to have a video chat with someone you’ve met on the app, because it’s a way of ‘virtually’ meeting someone and confirming if you’re compatible.
Video Prompts shows conversation starters on screen to encourage you to share more of your personality. You select from one of eight themes and once a theme is picked, the collection has five Prompts for the daters to ask each other. From warming up the conversation with basics about each other to interactive Prompts where you go on a mini scavenger hunt at home, Video Prompts brings you closer together with your date by discussing topics you might not have discussed on your own.
HOW IT WORKS
- Once you are on a video call in the Hinge app, both people will see in the corner of their screen the option to open Video Prompts.
- One person will open Video Prompts and select one of the eight different Prompt themes. After a Prompts theme is selected, both daters view the same Prompt card.
- After both people answer a Prompt, you swipe the screen to the next card and both people will see it.
For more from Women Love Tech visit here.