We heard the most craziness rumours about the iPhone 5S! It’s now official. The iPhone 5S is here. Together, let’s discover everything you need to know about the Apple iPhone 5S —The Most Forward-Thinking Smartphone in the World.
Apple iPhone 5S Main Features
- 64-bit A7 chip
- All-New 8 Megapixel iSight Camera with True Tone Flash
- Introduces Touch ID Fingerprint Sensor
“iPhone 5s is the most forward-thinking smartphone in the world, delivering desktop class architecture in the palm of your hand,” said Philip Schiller, Apple’s senior vice president of Worldwide Marketing. “iPhone 5s sets a new standard for smartphones, packed into its beautiful and refined design are breakthrough features that really matter to people, like Touch ID, a simple and secure way to unlock your phone with just a touch of your finger.”
The all-new A7 chip in iPhone 5s brings 64-bit desktop-class architecture to a smartphone for the first time.
With up to twice the CPU and graphics performance, almost everything you do on iPhone 5s is faster and better than ever, from launching apps and editing photos to playing graphic-intensive games—all while delivering great battery life. Apple also engineered iOS 7 and all the built-in apps to maximise the performance of the A7 chip. iPhone 5s is the best mobile gaming device with access to hundreds of thousands of games from the App Store℠, the A7 chip’s 64-bit architecture and support for OpenGL ES version 3.0.
iPhone 5s delivers incredibly rich and complex visual effects, previously only possible on Macs, PCs and gaming consoles.
iPhone 5s includes the new M7 motion coprocessor
- That gathers data from the accelerometer, gyroscope and compass to offload work from the A7 for improved power efficiency. Developers can also access new CoreMotion APIs that take advantage of M7, so they can create even better fitness and activity apps that go well beyond what other mobile devices offer.
- The M7 motion coprocessor continuously measures your motion data, even when the device is asleep, and saves battery life for pedometer or other fitness apps that use the accelerometer all day.
iPhone 5s introduces Touch ID
- an innovative way to simply and securely unlock your iPhone with just the touch of a finger. Built into the home button.
- Touch ID uses a laser-cut sapphire crystal, together with the capacitive touch sensor, to take a high-resolution image of your fingerprint and intelligently analyse it to provide accurate readings from any angle.
- Setting up Touch ID to recognise your fingerprint is easy, and every time you use it, it gets better.
- The Touch ID sensor recognises the touch of a finger so the sensor is only activated when needed, preserving battery life.
- All fingerprint information is encrypted and stored securely in the Secure Enclave inside the A7 chip on the iPhone 5s; it’s never stored on Apple servers or backed up to iCloud®. Touch ID can also be used as a secure way to approve purchases from the iTunes Store®, App Store or iBooks Store℠.
iPhone 5s makes it even easier to take great photos with the world’s most popular camera.
- The all-new 8-megapixel iSight camera features a larger f/2.2 aperture and a new, larger sensor with 1.5μ pixels for better sensitivity and low-light performance, resulting in better pictures.
- These improvements, along with the Apple-designed image signal processor in the A7 chip and the new Camera app in iOS 7, provide up to two-times faster auto-focus, faster photo capture, automatic image and video stabilisation, and better dynamic range. iPhone 5s introduces the new True Tone flash—the world’s first for any camera—that variably adjusts colour and intensity for over 1,000 combinations, so photos taken with a flash appear more natural.
- iPhone 5s also includes a new Burst Mode, Slo-Mo video with 120 fps, a new FaceTime® HD camera for better low-light performance and audio-only FaceTime calls with iOS 7.
iPhone 5s features a remarkable thin and light, precision-crafted design that customers around the world love, including an anodised aluminium body with diamond cut chamfered edges, a stunning 4-inch Retina® display and glass inlays.
- iPhone 5s is available in three gorgeous metallic finishes including gold, silver and space grey. To complement iPhone 5s, Apple-designed premium leather cases in six rich colours—beige, black, blue, brown, yellow and (RED)—with soft, colour-matched microfibre lining.
- iPhone 5s makes it even easier to connect to high-speed networks with support for up to 13 LTE¹ wireless bands, more than any other smartphone in the world. With download speeds up to 100 Mbps², you can browse, download and stream content even faster. iPhone 5s includes dual-band 802.11 a/b/g/n Wi-Fi support for up to 150 Mbps² and Bluetooth 4.0. iPhone 5s delivers an amazing 10 hours of talk time on 3G networks, up to 10 hours of web browsing on Wi-Fi and LTE networks and up to 8 hours on 3G networks, and up to 10 hours of video playback and up to 40 hours of audio playback.³
iPhone 5s comes with iOS 7
The most significant iOS update since the original iPhone engineered to support the A7 chip’s 64-bit architecture, the new iSight camera and Touch ID fingerprint sensor.
iOS 7 features a stunning new user interface, completely redesigned with an elegant colour palette, distinct, functional layers and subtle motion that make it feel more alive. iOS 7 has hundreds of great new features, including Control Center, Notification Center, improved Multitasking, AirDrop, enhanced Photos, Safari and Siri.
Apple iPhone 5S Pricing and Availability
The iPhone 5s comes in gold, silver or space grey. It will be available in Australia for a recommended retail price of RRP A$869 inc GST for the 16GB model and RRP A$999 inc GST for the 32GB model and RRP A$1,129 inc GST for the 64GB model.
iPhone 5s will be available from the Apple Online Store (www.apple.com/au), Apple’s retail stores, and through Telstra, Optus, Vodafone and select Apple Authorised Resellers.
The iPhone 5s cases will be available in beige, black, blue, brown, yellow and (RED) for a recommended retail price of RRP A$48 inc GST through the Apple Online Store (www.apple.com/au), Apple’s retail stores and select Authorised Apple Resellers.
The iPhone 5s will be available in the US, Australia, Canada, China, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Japan, Puerto Rico, Singapore and the UK on Friday 20 September.
A new iPhone 4S 8GB model will also be available for RRP A$529 inc GST. iOS 7 will be available as a free software update starting on Wednesday 18 September for iPhone 4 and later, iPad 2 and later, iPad mini and iPod touch (fifth generation). Some features may not be available on all products.